As a smart dieter, you know that the foundation of any maintainable weight loss is a healthy diet and exercise. However, diet pills, when selected with care and used cautiously, can accelerate results and make it easier to attain your goals.
Unfortunately, even the smartest dieters can be tempted by pills that contain unsavory, and often dangerous, ingredients! Lured by false promises of exceptional weight loss and fantastic results, it’s all too easy to get caught up in what you think will work.
Five dangerous diet pill ingredients you should never consume
Many dangerous diet pill ingredients go by different names, but that doesn’t make them any less dangerous! Here are five of the most harmful ingredients you should avoid at all costs:
- Ephedra, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, Ma Huang – regardless of the name, ephedra is dangerous. It affects the nervous system and can cause high blood pressure, increased heart rate, irregular heart rhythm, stroke, or, in some cases, death. It is banned in several countries, but may still be available from unregulated sources.
- Bitter Orange, synephrine – synephrine is a chemical in Bitter Orange with side effects similar to that of ephedra. In small doses, it can cause headaches, increased heart rate, vomiting, and insomnia. In severe cases, it can cause heart attack, stroke, and fainting.
- Sibutramine – sibutramine is another ingredient that can cause increased heart rate, heart attacks, or strokes. Many weight loss drugs contain trace amounts of sibutramine, meaning that it is still a common problem.
- Fenproporex – the body converts fenproporex into amphetamine, causing cardiovascular complications – like heart arrhythmias – and even death. Because of how the body breaks down fenproporex, it’s thought to be addictive.
- Phenolphthalein – phenolphthalein was traditionally used in laxatives, but has since been banned in many countries as ineffective and unsafe. Small amounts are still found in some diet pills.
What to look for in a weight loss supplement instead
Now that you know what to avoid, it’s important to understand what you should seek out instead! The best weight loss supplements are those powered by natural ingredients that work with your body rather than against it to create natural, sustainable weight loss.
For example, PhenQ is powered by Capsimax powder, a capsicum, piperine, caffeine, and niacin blend. Piperine is black pepper. Capsicum is a pepper. And you already know what caffeine is! This should give you confidence to take the supplement, knowing exactly what you’re putting into your body.
The best weight loss supplements are those where you can read the label and understand what you’re putting into your body, even if you have to search the internet for the common name. When you fuel your body with a healthy diet and a weight loss supplement, it’s a lot easier to achieve your weight loss goals!