3 Healthy Grab and Go Lunch Ideas for Work
When you’re trying to save your waistline or even some money, bringing your lunch to work is an excellent alternative to eating out.
Too often, busy professionals don’t have time in the morning to put together a healthy, appetizing lunch. However, it’s not impossible to do so. Below, we have 3 healthy on the go lunches you can make the night before to ensure you stay on track with your diet and actually enjoy doing so.
With lean protein, whole grain bread, and a variety of vegetables, a sandwich is a quick lunch you can make the night before and grab as you head out the door. The best part is that sandwiches are incredibly versatile, making it simple to switch it up during the week and keep lunch interesting.
Here are just a few ways to switch up the sandwiches you’re already bored with:
- A smashed chickpea sandwich combines chickpeas with carrots and celery, some hummus, lemon juice, and a couple of spices for a healthy, veggie-based alternative to meat.
- A smashed white bean sandwich is simple too – Combine white beans with lemon juice and some extra virgin olive oil and top with red onion, cucumber, avocado, and greens.
- BLAT – A classic favorite with the addition of avocado for satiating, unsaturated fats that will keep you feeling satisfied until dinner.
Helpful Hints: Add a healthy dressing to add flavor to your sandwiches without ruining the nutritional content and choose sprouted, whole grain bread for a distinct flavor and extra health benefits!
Try also: Eating chia seeds for weight loss >>
Many pass on salads because they think they’re boring. However, you can make any variety of salads you like with vegetables, grains, and more to keep things interesting. Here are just a few varieties you should try:
- Three bean pasta salad with celery and green beans
- Quinoa salad with cherries, feta, almonds, and greens
- Kale salad with lentils, cabbage, and a light vinaigrette
Feel free to get creative and try new combinations until you find a few you like!
Soup is filling and, when placed in a thermos, is a great choice for an on-the-go lunch. For an even more filling meal, choose a vegetable soup recipe for added fiber that will keep you feeling satisfied throughout the afternoon. Looking for options? Here are a few:
- Any basic minestrone is a great choice – just add the vegetables you want, some beans for protein, and some spices and you’re good to go.
- Mushroom barley soup is packed with whole grains and vegetables for a healthy dose of filling fiber.
- Looking for some flair? This ginger chicken soup is the perfect pick-me-up at lunchtime!
Helpful Hint: You may even want to try a vegetable chili when the weather gets cold as a hearty alternative!
Classic, Simple Staples Don’t Have to be Boring at Lunch
There’s no need to go hunting for complicated recipes to stay healthy and satiated at lunch. Instead, rely on the classics to satisfy you with new twists on old favorites!
Which is your favorite new recipe to try? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Check what to do when eating out on a diet >>