Avocado Benefits

Avocado Benefits - 5 Reasons to Eat Avocado Right Now

2 min read


03 Aug 2016

Whether in a dip, on a salad, or in a smoothie, avocados have long been championed as one of the most nutritionally-dense fruits in the produce department. But avocados aren’t your typical fruit.

Avocados differ from most fruits because they are high in unsaturated, healthy fats rather than carbohydrates. Likewise, they come packed with distinct health benefits most other fruits don’t.

Avocado Benefits

Below, we’ll discuss 3 of the most important benefits you should know and why, when given the opportunity, you should incorporate avocado in your diet.

1. They’re Rich in Several Essential Nutrients

In recent years, avocados, no matter the variety you eat, have been elevated to superfood status because they’re rich in 20 different vitamins and minerals. In an average, 100 gram serving, you’ll receive:

  • 26% of your daily recommended amount of vitamin K.
  • 20% of your daily recommended amount of folate.
  • 17% of your daily recommended amount of vitamin C.
  • 14% of your daily recommended amount of potassium.
  • 14% of your daily recommended amount of vitamin B5.
  • 13% of your daily recommended amount of vitamin B6.
  • 10% of your daily recommended amount of vitamin E.

The fat in avocados helps your body absorb nutrients as well. Some of these nutrients include vitamins K, E, A, and D as well as antioxidants.

Avocado Health

2. They’re Good for Your Heart and Protect Against Disease

The vital nutrients in avocados keep you healthy and protect against disease and health conditions too. Though many avoid avocado due to the high fat content, others reach for them for the same reason knowing that the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids do more good than harm.

Avocados are rich in oleic acid. Studies show oleic acid not only reduces inflammation but may help protect against cancer as well.

The fruit has also been shown to reduce cholesterol and other risk-factors associated with heart disease. Studies reveal that avocados can:

  • Reduce total cholesterol;
  • Lower LDL, or “bad,” cholesterol by up to 22%; and
  • Increase HDL, or “good,” cholesterol by up to 11%.

Other distinct benefits include eye health due to their high lutein content and the ability to reduce osteoarthritis symptoms.

3. They Promote Weight Loss

Many people have at least a few pounds they want to lose. While comprehensive supplements like PhenQ can help support healthy weight loss along with diet and exercise, so can avocados!

Here are some avocado benefits for weight loss:

Avocados contain both soluble and insoluble fiber, both of which support weight loss. Soluble fiber, which makes up about 25% of avocados, passes through the stomach unchanged and feeds gut flora, which is essential to good health, weight loss, and digestion. Insoluble fiber, which makes up the other 75% of avocados, keeps you feeling full and promotes regular digestion, keeping your appetite at bay.

Read: Healthy Grab and Go Lunch Ideas

Eat Your Way to Good Health

Avocados are a key component of any healthy diet. If you’re looking to nourish your body, protect against disease, and lose weight, they’ll help you do just that.

The best part? They’re delicious, too.