Have you heard about Ed Sheeran weight loss? He lost 35 pounds in three months by drinking vodka instead of beer. And while you shouldn’t necessarily go on vodka diet to shed your excess weight, there’s a lesson to be learned here: making substitutes in your diet is a simple way to shed the pounds and keep them off.
Substituting calorie-dense options with healthier alternatives is an easy way to lose weight. Below, we share some common swaps, the calories you’ll save, and the results you can expect from your ongoing commitment to better health.
5 simple, healthy substitutes for your favorite treats
There’s nothing wrong with a treat in your diet every now and then. However, there are simple swaps you can make for these treats to help you shed weight and feel your best!
Here are 5 simple, healthy substitutes in everyday recipes or diets:
1. Fruit for sweets − sweet treats are full of refined sugar and other unhealthy additives. Fruit is sweet and packed with fructose, which the body digests along with fiber to slow down blood sugar spikes and give you a hint of sweetness without making your blood sugar levels skyrocket.
Compare: 1 serving of grapes vs 1 chocolate chip cookie (60 calories vs 150 calories)
2. Frylight for oil − while there are some healthy fats in oils, there are also a lot of calories. In fact, there are 120 calories in one tablespoon of olive oil, and most people use a lot more than just one tablespoon when they’re cooking! Frylight is a great alternative that helps you get the flavor of oil without the calories.
Compare: 1 serving of Frylight vs 1 tablespoon of olive oil (0.5 calories vs 120 calories)
3. Spaghetti squash for pasta − spaghetti squash is a delicious low-carbohydrate alternative to traditional pasta. The best part is that you can roast it and toss it in all your favorite light sauces for a healthy dish that doesn’t feel “healthy.”
Compare: 1 cup of spaghetti squash vs 1 cup of pasta (31 calories vs 220 calories)
4. Lettuce leaves for tortillas or other wraps − fresh lettuce can lighten up a dish and save you carbohydrates (and calories). Lettuce wraps are an easy swap in taco dishes or in any other wrap-based recipe!
Compare: 1 lettuce leaf vs 1 tortilla (5 calories vs 110 calories)
Read: Why Men Have An Easier Time Dieting Than Women > >
5. Greek yogurt for sour cream − the taste of Greek yogurt mirrors that of sour cream. More importantly, you can substitute sour cream for greek yoghurt in a variety of recipes, saving calories in multiple meals!
Compare: 1 container Greek yogurt vs 1 cup sour cream (100 calories vs 445 calories)
Benefits of using apple cider vinegar for weight loss >>
How many calories will you save?
By making the five swaps above, you would save approximately 840 calories, and that’s just with a handful of basic changes.
Small, simple swaps to healthier alternatives can work wonders for your weight loss. So what will you swap?