Do Lipotropic Injections Work? Results and Side Effects
Sometimes we need a push. Something to jumpstart our bodies so we can shift those excess pounds and watch them melt away.
Lipotropic injections have the potential to be just such a jumpstart. Designed to tackle the fatty deposits in your body, they can give you the push you need to stick to your diet and begin losing weight healthily.
What are lipotropic injections?
Lipo injections are often referred to as ‘fat burning injections’ due to their ability to help you shed excess pounds; preserve lean muscle mass; detoxify your liver and improve your general well-being.
Formulated from a range of nutrients; these lipotropic shots are minimally invasive – making them more effective than their oral counterparts – and can help to dissolve pockets of fat around your body (stomach, bum, thighs and arms) by improving your liver function.
By enhancing your liver, this can speed up the breakdown and removal of fat, enabling you to lose weight. It can also help to increase your metabolism, lower your cholesterol levels, prevent liver damage, balance your hormones, boost your immune system, raise your energy levels and generally put in you a better position to boost wellness.
If we were to get ‘technical’, then lipotropic injections could be described as a mixture of lipotropic agents and non-vitamin compounds that work simultaneously to reduce the presence of adipose tissue i.e. fat, in the body.
- Lipotropic agents – these are structurally and functionally similar to B Vitamins and are actively involved in the homeostasis of energy production from fat. This means they harness your existing fat reserves to fuel your body, cells and muscles.
- Non-vitamin compounds – these help to stimulate your liver into optimizing (speeding up) your metabolism, whilst increasing the movement and utilization of fat. This is furthered enhanced by administering it as an injection up to two times a week.
What does lipotropic mean?
Lipotropic was first penned by scientists in 1935 whilst they were investigating fat metabolism in the liver. It is used to describe substances – such as lipotropic shots – that can prevent or remove an accumulation of excess fat within the liver.
What’s in a lipotropic injection?
Now the exact concoction you’ll receive can vary from supplier to supplier, but most contain one if not more of the following fat-burning compounds: chromium picolinate, choline, methionine, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 and L-Carnitine. Each of these compounds is believed to encourage weight loss and improve your energy levels.
- Vitamin B12 – often described as an energy vitamin, is water-soluble and can help to keep your body’s nerve and blood cells healthy. This can prevent anemia and feelings of weakness and fatigue.
- Methionine – this essential amino acid plays a key role in managing your metabolism by helping your liver to maintain its optimal ability to process fatty acids. It also contributes towards methyl donation to histones which are responsible for activating certain genetic processes within your body that are involved in the increase of lean tissues. By increasing lean muscle tissues, this can raise your resting metabolic rate, and in turn, boost the number of calories that are obtained from your existing fat stores or dietary intake.
- Inositol – a close relation to the vitamin B family, this natural sugar (or sugar alcohol) can help to metabolize fat and improve insulin function.
- Choline – this essential nutrient is responsible for fat metabolism and transport, but also assists with cell membrane structure and other bodily functions.
How do lipotropic injections work?
Lipotropic shots are usually injected into your upper arm, hip, thigh or bum – to avoid scarring – and should be used throughout the duration of your weight loss journey (or for as long as you see positive benefits).
These injections thankfully only need to be done twice a week – at any time of the day – to help replenish the nutrients within your body that work to optimize your liver’s fat burning capabilities. From here, it will travel through your bloodstream influencing your cells, hormones, liver and digestive system.
Now, one of the biggest benefits to these injections is the fact that you can access them through local healthcare providers, clinics and spas. So if you pop online you are likely to find somewhere local who can administer it for you.
NOTE: never double up on dosages, even if you have missed one. This can put extra strain on your kidneys.
What should I expect from lipotropic injections?
It is important to be realistic with these shots, as the results they produce won’t be instantaneous. Like all weight loss management programs, they will take time and will have to be completed alongside a healthy diet and regular exercise.
However, used correctly Lipotropic injections can help you to experience more energy, greater weight loss, improved focus and clarity, and healthier skin, hair and nails.
- Energy – the L-Carnitine, choline and other compounds commonly found in these shots can help to boost the metabolism of your fat cells, turning them into energy. This means you will feel naturally energized throughout the day.
- Weight loss – these injections work best when combined with healthy dietary choices and regular exercise. By raising your energy levels and boosting your fat metabolism, you will experience a greater impact at the gym. Plus, thanks to its ability to preserve lean muscle mass, this can help your metabolism to burn calories hours after you have finished exercising. With some formulas, you can also experience the added benefit of curbed cravings and a suppressed appetite. This will help you to eat less and use up your existing liver fat stores for energy.
- Improved clarity and focus – the B Vitamins within these injections can offer your brain a number of benefits including improved memory, clarity and concentration; better moods, and protection against mental fatigue. Basically, it can give a boost to your overall wellness.
- Hair, skin and nails – whilst having healthy hair, skin and nails has got nothing to do with weight loss; this perk can readily arise from these injections. This is due to its nutrients detoxifying your body and supporting the production of new cells and proteins that can help to replenish your skin cells and leave your hair and nails feeling strong.
How long does it take for lipotropic injections to work?
And that is the question – and the one that triggers the most debate.
You see, on the one hand, there are users who report feeling better (within themselves) in a matter of hours. Whilst there are others who notice an improvement to their weight loss within a few weeks.
The trick to truly succeeding with lipo injections is remembering that your success is completely dependent on what you do to support it. For instance, if you receive these injections but carry on like normal e.g. eating badly and never exercising, then your results will be slow and minimal.
However, combine them with a healthy diet and physical exercise, and you will see a noticeable difference of 1-2lbs weight loss (per week) within 2-3 weeks.
What are the possible side effects of lipotropic injections?
The breadth of side effects that accompany these injections is varied; however, most sources agree that it can cause irritation/discomfort at the site of injection. For that reason, we recommend avoiding injecting it into your butt unless you like sitting uncomfortably for days at a time.
In terms of side effects though, they are pretty minimal (compared to other products) as most of the compounds it contains are found naturally in your body.
However, it isn’t completely without risk. The most common side effects you can expect are:
- Stomach and urinary problems – if you don’t drink plenty of fluids, then this cocktail of Vitamins B6 and B12, Choline, Chromium etc. can put unnecessary strain on your kidneys, triggering stomach pain and urinary issues. These should be temporary though and will subside fairly quickly.
- Fatigue/exhaustion – yes, it can cause the exact opposite of what it is meant to promote. This is caused by the changes these injections make to your digestive system. By increasing your metabolism and digestive tract, you are forcing your body to work harder than normal. This extra workload can cause exhaustion in the hours following each injection.
- Pain/tenderness at point of injection – you may experience swelling, pain, redness and even itchiness at the point where the needle pierced your skin. This can last for a few days but should fade. If it doesn’t, speak to a doctor as this pain could be a sign of infection.
- Allergic reaction – there is a slim possibility of you experiencing allergic reactions from the shot, including: itchiness, rash, hives, chest tightness, breathing difficulties, and swelling of the throat, lips, mouth or tongue. Should this happen, speak to a doctor immediately
- Unexplained pain in parts of the body – in particular in your neck and parts of your hand. These appear to be random, temporary and should go away pretty quickly.
Less common and even rarer side effects include: depression, loss of urine control, diarrhea, unpleasant odors, behavioral changes, fast heartbeat (palpitations), dizziness, passing out, excitability, anxiety and severe headaches.
Given the breadth of these potential side effects, we advise you to be cautious and speak to your doctor immediately if you spot any signs of them.
Lipo injection costs
Lipo injections are not cheap and can cost you on average $20 to $50 per injection. The exact price will depend on where you go to get them, and if you sign up to a package deal where you get a certain number of lipotropic shots for a set price e.g. 5 shots for $75.
Now, you should only need one shot per week (although two shots are allowed), so the amount you spend will depend on how long you plan to use the injection. For instance, given that you can expect 1-2lbs of weight loss per week. If you want to lose a stone you are looking at a minimum spend of $140-$350 for 7 weeks.
Do lipotropic injections work and are they worth a try?
There is no denying that lipotropic shots have got the power to boost fat metabolism in the liver, ensuring you have got the energy to workout hard and burn more fat. However, the amount of weight you lose will be entirely dependent on YOU and how hard you work.
These injections are not a quick fix. Nor are they an instant solution to your dieting woes.
YES, they can support your weight loss and YES, they can make it easier. BUT – and it is a big but – you still need to eat well, work out regularly and take care of your body.
Fail to do that, and all you are really doing is subjecting your body to painful, expensive injections that could trigger severe allergic reactions; stomach/kidney/urinary problems and exhaustion.
Basically, lipo shots are only as good as your willpower…
Lipotropic injection results
Then there are the results. On average these injections can help you to lose 1-2lbs per week. 1-2lbs! This is the EXACT SAME amount you can lose by simply eating right and doing physical activity. When you consider that – are these injections even necessary? We don’t think so.
However, if you are in any doubt, why not take a look at this video:
Alternatively, why not consider trying a safer, more natural route such as PhenQ?
Have you tried lipotropic injections for weight loss? What was your experience? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Recommended reading: What are the side effects of Orlistat? >>